Tuesday, June 28, 2016

A Summer Cry For Help

Ahhh... Summer... An illusion of a haven that every student dreams about when they are busting their asses with finals and projects and the likes. What could possibly be better than having absolutely zero deadlines, no 70 page reading to cramp through in 1 hour before due, no class-hoping, no stress, no binge eating, no gossiping, no obligation to have a relatively decent social life... Summer sounds amazing, right?

Well, no.

Summer, at least to me, has always been the pitfall where I start to slack off from every-single-good-routine I've worked so hard to create all freaking year long. Don't believe me? Take a look:

- Waking up at 7 in the morning to meditate in the morning? No more of that!

- Going to the gym twice a day, one for HIIT and cardio, one for strength training? Gym-my-bump. I can hardly bring myself to the gym more than 3 times a week, and every-single-time I have a new excuse: "it's too hot outside", "I'm still sore from yesterday", "I have to pick my brother up today exactly at the time my favorite class is on, so might as well not go", "My belly hurts", "I am too broke to take Uber there and back", and the list of excuses go on and on. Just to make every single person out there feel better, I gained 4% of fat and lost 3 kgs of muscle in 6 weeks. Yay me!

- Healthy eating? Does not apply to traditional Vietnamese sweets, because we all know even when the black bean dish is loaded with sugar, it's still healthy!

- Veganism? Are you saying I can't eat this delicious cake? Back off!

- Reading? Pft, I got all school years to do that, why would I torture myself now? I am going to put my kindle right next to me, and then play Sniper Hitman instead (true story).

- Skincare routine? Why would you have to do that if you don't leave the house (couch) at all?

- Having a decent, productive, fruitful and happy life? Please, I guess it's pretty clear I have been sucked into a depressing summer.

Soooooo, that's pretty pathetic (I guess). Even more pathetic is the fact that I had a pretty good plan of what I was going to do with my summer: I got a health-coaching certificate so that I could go out there, find people who want my help, and... HELP THEM. I have a passion for healthy living that comes from my history of binge eating, anorexia, supercharged negative body image, and all the things you can think of that can be applied to most girls and women these days. I was so sure I could use my science background and my love for scientific writing for good.

And all my aspiration flopped to its belly when I embraced my slightly sticky and most-of-the-time-too-uncomfortable couch.

So this blog is not a motivational post. It is a cry for help, a reminder to myself that I have rested enough, and it's time to pick up my butts and go. There are plenty productive and cool things I can do with my 2 months of summer left, and it does not include gluing my butts to the couch and play Mortal Kombat all day (which was pretty much what I did last summer).

I, Đinh Nguyễn Phương Hoa, aka Chloe Dinh to some people, promise:

1. I will begin meditating twice a day again, once with my brother at night and once in the morning by myself.

2. I will drink a big bottle of water right when I wake up and proceed to drink as much as my tiny bladder can handle.

3. I am going to practice my French again because my lying little mouth kept saying I love the language, and I want to keep learning it, but I never put in the proper effort to do so.

4. I will spend time writing more blogs that would explain slightly-complex health topics so that anybody who's interested can find out more.

5. I will finish my damn books that I bought at the beginning of the summer, thinking that I would be a super-smart-person by the end if I absorb all the information from other-wise-people.

6. Last but not least, I will go to the gym again. Not because I need a beach body (already got a body, just don't like the beach), but because I miss the strong, in control, sweaty but rewarding feeling after every session. I will go because without feeling like I own my body and that I am proud of it, I feel disempowered, disheartened, and empty.

This is my declare of independence from my excuses, my laziness, and my couch (maybe not the couch, I can still do stuff while sitting on it). This is war, and I am determined to win ;).



Now, you too, pick up your butts and go. It's time to do something! Let's claim our summer back!!!
<probably only me, since all of my friends have really cool internships all over the world...>






No comments:

Post a Comment